Breaking the Silence: Why Everything You Know About Meditation Might Be Wrong

 

​People say you need silence to meditate.

​Honestly? Give me a heavy trance beat, close my eyes, and let the music drown out everything. That driving rhythm just washes the noise right out of my head. The drop is my deep breath.

​Quiet rooms are great, but I'll prefer a good beat any day.

​For years, I was under the exact same misconception. I thought meditation was a chore.

Having done certification courses in yoga, I’ve been trained in various meditation techniques and breathing exercises. So, naturally, I would try to do it "right": find a quiet room, sit cross-legged in padmasana or siddhasana, and force myself to concentrate in complete silence.

​And what happened? Almost immediately, I would get completely caught up in my thoughts.....playing back the events of the day or dragging up the past. Instead of finding peace, I’d have a hard time focusing, and my anxiety would actually go up. I was being pushed right back into the very thoughts I was trying to escape.

​If that sounds familiar, you aren't alone. We are sold a very narrow picture of what stillness is supposed to look like. But the truth is, we need to break past those myths.

​Myth 1: Meditation is a hard, tiring chore

The Reality: We need to look at it differently. Meditation is not a forced effort; it is relaxation.

​Some call it the art of doing nothing, while others see it as doing any daily act with full awareness. There are a lot of different opinions out there, but you have to pick what works best for you. Doing bhramari or anulom vilom is great, but sometimes just drifting away to a happy, peaceful place is more than enough.

​I eventually had to find my own new technique.....a pretty unique one, too. Strangely enough, deep, fast trance music drowns out my thoughts and takes me straight to a place of calm. When you put a busy mind in total silence, it often just acts like a megaphone for your worries. But a heavy, driving beat acts like an anchor, giving your brain something steady to hold onto so you can finally let go.

​Myth 2: You need a full hour early in the morning

An hour? First thing at dawn? Not at all.

​You don’t need to carve out a massive block of time. It doesn't have to be a morning ritual. Any time of day......even a quick, stolen 10 minutes is plenty.

​In fact, science backs this up. Research on short meditation breaks shows that even brief sessions of just 5 to 10 minutes a day can help rewire the brain, lower stress hormones, and calm the nervous system. You don't need to change your whole life schedule to get the benefits.

​Myth 3: It’s just for stress relief or old age

The Reality: This isn't something to put off until retirement.

​Meditation shouldn't be something we wait to do in our later years. It’s a habit we should start building back in our teenage days. Taking time to calm the mind actually improves your daily work, sharpens your thinking, and boosts your focus. Beyond the mental benefits, it is really important for personal and spiritual growth.

​So, let's stop making peace feel so complicated. You don’t need a fancy setup, an empty mind, or a silent room to find your center.

​Have you meditated today? What's your go-to way of finding your calm?


Niharika Prasad 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

​The Cost of Conformance: What Happens When Women Choose Themselves?

Is Everything Online Just Noise?

Musafir Cafe: Why Chander and Sudha’s Messy Love is Realer Than You Think